Shrine of Our Lady of Solitude

Shrine of Our Lady of Solitude

A small chapel adjacent to the Parish Cemetery of San Cristóbal, where the Virgin of La Soledad is venerated.
In 1937, the year the Brotherhood of Our Lady of Solitude was founded, the Chapel of Saint Christopher, situated next to the parish cemetery of the same name, lay in ruins, reduced to nothing more than a pile of rubble. The Brotherhood’s Governing Board, in agreement with the Ecclesiastical Authority, decided to restore the chapel so that it might serve as a place of worship for the Blessed Virgin of Solitude and as the Brotherhood’s canonical seat. Thus, reconstruction work began in 1938, lasting until 1944, due to the difficult situation Spain was facing and the Brotherhood’s lack of financial resources. On 2 November 1938, whilst the Chapel was still under reconstruction, the Virgin of Solitude was carried in procession from the Parish Church of St Francis of Assisi, where she had been blessed following the extensive restoration work carried out in Córdoba by the sculptor Rafael Díaz, to the Chapel, which from that day onwards, and with the approval of the Ecclesiastical Authorities, came to be known as the Sanctuary of Our Lady of Solitude. The chapel has a sober and humble appearance, with a single rectangular floor plan. In addition to Our Lady of Solitude, the sculpture of a Recumbent Christ, which may date from the 16th century, is also noteworthy.