Chapel of the Holy Cross

Chapel of the Holy Cross

A small chapel built in 1920 and dedicated to the Holy Cross
The construction of the Santa Cruz chapel in 1920 marked a milestone in the life of the village. Oral tradition offers various explanations for its origins: one claims that it was built in memory of a day labourer who died in an accident at that spot, whilst another maintains that it was the fulfilment of a vow made by the women of La Cubertilla during a diphtheria epidemic, when they pledged to build a chapel if the disease did not claim any lives amongst the villagers. From then on, the chapel became the centre of the village’s religious and social life. Every year, the Feast of the Cross brought together the inhabitants of La Cubertilla and the nearby farmsteads, as well as numerous residents from Todos Aires, Caicena and other neighbouring villages. Following the gradual depopulation of the village, the celebration ceased to be held on 3 May and was moved to the first weekend in August, coinciding with the summer holidays, and it continues in this way to this day.